[mohaa] g_needpass & g_password

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri Aug 23 14:39:57 EDT 2002

> I'm right when I say "This game is based on a modified
> Q3-Engine", hopefully. But, when this is truth... why are there
> no g_needpass in a status response or no g_password to be set in
> the configuration??

It's based on Ritual's FAKK2, which is based on Quake3. The networking got
kinda mangled in the process, so some cvars are just missing, in terms of
Quake 3 compatibility.

> Or do I have to set the g_needpass manually? Can't this behaviour
> be changed to "normal" (if there is something in g_password let
> the server be protected and print \g_needpass\1 on a status
> request)?

Use these cvars:

 sv_privatepassword MyPassword
 sv_maxclients 5
 sv_privateclients 5

Clients that don't pull down the console and punch in

  set password MyPasword

before hand will not be able to connect, but up to five people with the
password will. On GameSpy, the server looks like it's got zero of zero
slots open (if you advertise it on GameSpy).

--ryan.