[mohaa] Getting Complanes About High Ping, Is Config Ok?

Eric Koldeweij eric at no-sense.net
Fri Aug 2 18:44:44 EDT 2002

Sounds to me like you're hitting a limit, not a cfg problem.
I see from your config that you run on a full T1, is that right? I
assume it is so :)

A T1 is a full-duplex 2Mbit/sec connection, with rounds down to about
200Kbyte/sec both up and down. Seeing that you have your clientrate set
to 9000 bytes/sec it means that you can host (rounded down) 200 / 9 = 22
users max. That is, if your box does not generate any other traffic. If
you are above that number, pings WILL skyrocket...
You should check if there are other bandwidth-guzzlers active (like
other game servers, web servers can use a lot of bandwidth too if there
are many requests, and a popular ftp server is a real killer)

Assuming that you have bandwidth enough the only other limits (I can
think of) you can hit is memory/CPU power. The MOHAA server really is a
memory eater, and 256Mb minimum for a linux box without X running is
really no luxury - 128Mb is too little.
Also a 600+ Mhz processor is advisable.

Easiest check is to do "uptime". it'll give you 3 load averages. If
they're all permanently above 1, your box is too busy.

To figure out what the bottleneck is, most linux boxes come with handy
tools. If you suspect bandwidth is the problem but you have no idea
what's causing it, run (as root) "netstat -tuap". That'll give you a
list of all TCP and UDP services currently running at your box. Check
the second and third column of the output (the receive and send queue
resp.). If many entries have large numbers there you have a definite
bandwidth problem.

Also, run "top". That'll give you a lot of information about your
system. If your box is using a lot of swap space you have a shortage of
memory. If the used swap space is close to the max, you're in trouble -
add memory as soon as possible or you'll risk processes crashing due to
out-of-memory conditions. Also, check the CPU state(s). They should be
idle for a considerable percentage. If permanently busy, your problem is
CPU power.

First action I'd suggest is to lower the sv_maxRate to 7000 or even
6000. Almost no client will notice a performance loss, and you will be
able to serve more clients (28 and 33 resp. assuming no other traffic)

If there's a lot of traffic from time to time (like ftp transfers) you
might consider installing the traffic shaper - this will allow you to
limit the bandwidth for network connections. See the docs for a full
explanation.

Last but not least (not very likely tho) is that (one of) your uplink(s)
is at capacity... In that case you should experience packet loss, which
you can check with ping.

Good luck!

Eric.