[lokisetup] File and URL associations?

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Fri Mar 10 03:20:26 EST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 10:04, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> loki_setup can instruct Gnome/KDE to add a launcher for a given app to
> their start bars, but is there some way to instruct Gnome/KDE to
> consider this app as the document handler for a specific file extension
> or mimetype? Do these window systems even support that sort of
> functionality?

Yes they do. Desktop entry files describe which mime types are supported by an
application: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec.
Both GNOME and KDE fully support that.
A separate specification describes how to register mime types:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo_2dspec.
That method is apparently not yet supported by KDE though.

> Is there any parts of this loki_setup can handle? Some of this is
> probably beyond the installer's control if there aren't even de facto
> standards in this area, but I was curious if anyone had insight into how
> to solve these problems.

loki-setup doesn't create XDG desktop files yet.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development