[lokisetup] 2.0 branch

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Jun 4 19:43:53 EDT 2005

> Ryan, do you want to convert the current CVS repository to Subversion?
> I'm thinking I should learn to use svn at the same time, but let's keep
> the CVS repository around for a little while as well, until all is
> transitioned.

Not a problem. I've converted loki_setup, loki_setupdb, and loki_patch,
but the original CVS repos are still there. The revision history (all
the way back to Loki Software's days) is still intact in the subversion
repository.

Here's your basic rundown on Subversion:
1) Get a subversion client. If your distro doesn't package it, get it
from http://subversion.tigris.org/ ... 1.2.0 is the latest, and I
recommend it (we're using it on i.o)...any version back to 1.0.0 will
work, though.
2) Stephane will give out write access; this is not tied to an
icculus.org shell account and thus needs no intervention from me for
basic user maintanance. Stephane, you edit
/svnspace/public/loki_setup/conf/passwd to give people write access. The
password is not sent in the clear over the wire, but since it IS cached
as plaintext on the client and you will have access to them yourself,
the passwords should be throwaway nonsense and not a meaningful string
used elsewhere. Those that don't have a login will have read-only
access, like usual CVS usage.
3) Move your current working tree out of the way and do a fresh checkout:

   svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/loki_setup/trunk/ loki_setup
   svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/loki_setupdb/trunk/ loki_setupdb
   svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/loki_patch/trunk/ loki_patch

If you want the 2.0 branch, do this instead:

   svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/loki_setup/branches/SETUP_2_0/ loki_setup
     (...etc...)

Then, things work more or less like CVS: "svn update", "svn commit",
"svn diff", etc.

To use ViewCVS (which is really ViewSubversion, in this case):
   http://svn.icculus.org/loki_setup
   http://svn.icculus.org/loki_setupdb
   http://svn.icculus.org/loki_patch

The fine manual:
   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Some reasons why svn is better than cvs:
   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch01s03.html

Questions:
   ...go to me.

--ryan.