[lokisetup] setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Sun Jan 4 05:46:39 EST 2004

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> 1) Works everywhere it needs to without bells and whistles.
> 2) Has the absolute _smallest_ disk footprint possible.
> 3) Doesn't take a PhD to make an installer for.

Yes please -- #1 most critically, of course, but #2 is
really important.

> If we're statically linking GTK+, then it really might be worth writing
> some extremely minimalistic toolkit if it'll save a megabyte, but that
> might be going too far once the actual link size is evaluated.

I'm sure that some pretty minimal statically-linkable toolkits
came out of the pre-gtk/qt chaos and could be dusted off.  FLTK
comes to mind (or hey, how about crufty crummy old Xaw -- ugly, but
probably safe to leave dynamically-linked).

I'm not overly keen on the idea of a superinstaller that relies
on having a package handler utility pre-installed on the user's
machine.  The Autopackage approach there is interesting, of each
package containing a stub that will go and fetch this utility if
it's not already installed, but that sounds tricky in some respects
and would have to assume that the user is online when they come
to install such a package for the first time.  Maybe fine in
practise.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam at gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3