[lokisetup] setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

John Quigley johnw at lowestplane.org
Sat Jan 3 23:32:34 EST 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 6:54 pm, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> 2) Has the absolute _smallest_ disk footprint possible.

I'll second that.  For most of the Garage Games games, download size
is a big issue.  Smaller downloads seem to convert into sales better.
The linux versions are the biggest packages due to the extra couple
megs for setup.

I'll also throw in my $0.02 for other features.  I don't like editing
setup's C code, but it seems like that is what I spent most of my
time doing when I was working on installers (menu item
shortcuts...gahhh).  If I have to do that, I'd prefer something that
was mostly scripted, although I don't really care what the language
is.  Scripting might be at odds with reduced size though...given the
choice between the two, I'd go for size.

Another thing that might be useful is to replace the curses-based
console installer with a bash script (or curses-less command line C
program), to save some size.  Maybe also combine setup and uninstall
into a single executable, for additional size savings.