[lokisetup] setup v2 (was lokisetup for dummies)

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Jan 3 18:31:21 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 17:54, Timothee Besset wrote:
> Well I didn't know about autopackage existence. Gave it a brief review,
> they have a nice website. Anyone have experience with it, care to share
> it? In what ways does it compare to loki_setup?
>
> After a quick review through the website, it lists a bunch of useful
> functionalities, but it has the design flaws which I don't like about
> most win32-style installers, and which loki_setup avoided. For instance
> it's script based, uses an API of bash script functions, and I'm really
> not fond of that stuff.

The script base is because for many apps (not games, which loki_setup is
mostly geared for) rather intricate installation procedures are
necessary.

To say the least, it wouldn't be anywhere near difficult to write an
installer builder with a nice GUI that wraps all the low-level details.
One could simply save XML files detailing available options,
dependencies, and so on, and then simply "compile" that into the
necessary scripts and files for a .package file.

The one feature Autopackage is currently missing that loki_setup has is
a component-style feature (i.e., picking which parts of a larger package
to install).  It's not planned for v1.0, anyways, unless someone
provides a patch.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.