copy of 1 byte long file fails

dams dams at idm.fr
Wed Dec 8 08:41:13 EST 2004

Hello,

When using the File command to copy a file from the cd to the hard
drive, we have the following problem : if the file contains only one
byte (size of the file : 1 byte), equal to zero, the file copied is
emtpy (size of the file : 0 byte)

That's somehow problematic, we wrote a small script that overwrites the
files by doing printf "\0" > the_file  (something like that), but it's
not really fun.

It fails on every linux distro we tested (mandrake 10.1, 2004.3 gentoo,
fedora core 3, and maybe mandrake 9.2 (don't remeber)

thx!

--
dams