Makeself 2.1.x - New feature

Stéphane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Fri Feb 28 05:42:42 EST 2003

I just spent the day hacking away on Makeself, and I am thinking of
releasing the next version soon. Please bang on it if you want, so that
I can make sure it works ok.

What's new :
- Some cleanups here and there
- --nochown is a new option to prevent the resulting directory from
being "chown -R"'ed to the user
- Do not complain about MD5, now silently fall back to CRC checksum if
it is not available.
- Do not perform 2 consecutive checksums if one of them succeeds (CRC +
MD5)
- The big new feature is the support for multiple embedded tarballs
within an archive.
- You can incrementally append new tarballs to an existing makeself
archive by using the --append option. For instance :

# Create the initial archive
makeself.sh testdir test.run "Incremental archive" ./setup.sh
# Add more files to the archive
makeself.sh --append testdir2 test.run

You should be able to append as often as needed. Tarballs are stored
with their own individual checksums. There can be only one type of
compression per archive. Files are extracted in the order they were
added, so it's possible for them to overwrite previous files in the same
archive. It is not possible to change the label and script commands (by
design, though I may change this).

It was a royal pain in the ass to get dd to do what I wanted it to do
with no overhead, so there should be little or no performance loss for
extraction.

--
Stephane Peter
Sr. Software Engineer