[lokisetup] Thoughts

zakk zakk at timedoctor.org
Wed Feb 12 19:16:27 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 18:51, Chunky Kibbles wrote:
> Two things;
> First, It would be really nice if you could provide lots of logo-y
> type bits for varying bit depths; my laptop is running at 8-bit, and
> half the funky install things out there look FUGLY
While this may be useful for you and others that happen to have crappy
displays, I don't see it as being important to the demographic that
installers like _setup are targeted for (the non hardcore). Unless
people start giving into alpha/mips/m86k trolls :)
I think they'll also think that the more serious problem would be that
whatever is being installed doesn't run/look right at 8bpp, rather than
the inconsequential image? When the day comes that 8bpp is an important
target for somebody writing an installer, it would probably just be
easier for him to make a less interesting graphic then work around
whatever unsupported kludge _setup would have. (Unless that is, it
becomes part of the All Singing, All Dancing, new and improved _setup
2.0 now with e-mail sorting.)

Detecting bit-depth in and of itself seems like it would just be another
unportable kludge. Unless there's an easy way to do it that works on the
platforms that _setup runs on now, and ones that we'd like it to work on
in the future.

But I'd still like to see it in anyway, especially if it's not a kludge.
--
zakk <zakk at timedoctor.org>