[lokisetup] more questions:

Stephane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Mon Sep 9 20:53:08 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 17:33, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> - <install updateurl="xxx">  ... what should be in the file pointed to by
> updateurl, and does loki_update even work anymore?

I'm not sure, you would have to look at loki_update for more info about

> - The snappiest user response, it seems, is to tar/bzip2 the datafiles for
> the game, and use makeself without compression...download size is a little
> bigger (blah, who cares when the dataset is 100+ megs bzip2'd?), but
> makeself runs with a quickness to get the UI up...then the user is willing
> to sit through the install when there's a pretty GTK progress bar for the
> all the bunzip2'ing. The problem is that the "total progress" bar is way
> off, since tar can't determine how big the uncompressed data will be ahead
> of time. Since I _will_ know this, can we add an XML attribute to <files>?
> So <files size="250M"> data.tar.bz2 </files> will just take my word for it
> and ignore the tar plugin's idea of total size.
> Is that feasible?

There IS already such a mechanism in setup (actually it was used quite
heavily for a lot of Loki games that had a lot of small files scattered
around the CD - it would take forever to compute the size of the
install). Only difference with what you suggest is that it is a
per-option tag (size attribute like above), which should be enough if
you group your files in options accordingly.

Stephane Peter
Sr. Software Engineer
Codehost, Inc.