obtaining root rights - one way or the other

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Mon Feb 18 13:17:09 EST 2002

Most setups want to be run as root. Usually you would say 'after you
downloaded, su root and execute the setup'. I have a situation where the
setup is being executed after an auto download, typically as the average
Joe.

Is there an existing clean solution (available on most distribs
preferably, or something we could have as an add-on to setup) that would
display a graphical window and ask the user to enter the root pass? I'd
rather avoid going anywhere near suid hacks in shell scripts..

TTimo