[lokisetup] [candybeta] install options (fwd)

Stephane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Fri Feb 15 17:57:38 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 14:18, Ryan C. Gordon sorta wrote:
> It might be advisable during the install procedure to present the user
> with an option to make a directory (provided it can be made) instead of
> greying out the "Install" button till proper paths are created. This helps
> when installing in user accounts and the user doesn't have write access to
> pre-existing /bin paths (like /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin) and they'd like
> to create on in their home dir or somewhere else.

I thought it was supposed to sort out already what entries are writable
to by the installing user. I believe the check entails all parent
directories, and tries to see if the user would be able to create the
installation directory.

> Also, it'd be nice if maybe you could use a file browser (the standard
> gnome file select/browse/save-as widget) to select the directories to
> install to. This is of course, cosmetic :-) I don't know how hard that
> would be to do, or whether that's offered by gtk or gnome...

That would be quite simple to do. GTK has a file selection widget...
dialog may have one too, I am not sure.

--
Stephane Peter
Software Engineer