[lgfaq] Double Quake3Arena in the single intel box

Aivils Stoss Aivils.Stoss at unibanka.lv
Wed Oct 16 03:44:33 EDT 2002

Chunky Kibbles wrote:
>> Seems we never going to beta. 3 testers is to few.
>> Last month I never see kernel oops.
>> May be now others can test this.
>> I will not dragoon any.
>
>Unfortunately, you're aiming at a limited market; Most people don't
>have two cards & monitors, let along multiple KBs & mice :/

Current trend:
Veteran: I hit this stuff and nonsense.
Kids, Gamers: Yes, Yes, Yes.

You can try tell Your Information Technology chief:
Now we have 2000 workstations, tomorrow 1000. Incredible.

>> >You're also probably having sound issues. UT tends to just block
>> >on the sound dvice as opposed to anything else. Same therefore goes
>> >for Rune. And running a sound multiplexer is asking for trouble when
>> >you have multiple "real-time" sound things going on...
>>
>> Yes. Only Idsoftware made multiheading compatible games.
>> All another must multiplex or switch of sound.
>>
>> And UT2003 certainly will not run simultaneous.
>
>OK. Now you're gibbering.

Mailing lists is for gibbering and communication.

>1) "Multiheading games", hnuh? Most of them out there will run on
>multihead, with something like xinerama

Terminology troubles.
I mean flexible configuration like:
wolfmp +set snddevice /dev/dsp2
or
wolfmp +set gl_driver /usr/lib/my_strange_GL.so

>2) One program can have the sound device at a time. If UT gets it
>first, then you go without sound in Wolf, and vice versa. Before
>anyone corrects me, I'm aware of the Live Drivers and I'm aware of
>ALSA. I'm also aware that one isn't commonplace and one doesn't work
>*cough*

One voluntary (not me) compile ALSA and my pacth straight into
kernel and report "All fine".

>3) I could make utk3 run at the same time as something else. I just
>wouldn't be able to make it do it very quickly.

I recompile OpenAL. In the openal source I change sound device.
Now for freespace2 I set different
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/openal-dsp
or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/openal-dsp2

This will not work for UT. Seems UT check MD5 for their openal.so

:) Aivils