[lgfaq] Editing this is now officially like pulling teeth

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Oct 8 00:34:57 EDT 2002

> I think you're right in general that it can be challenging to read.
> But I also think that people would likely skip over large portions if it
> wasn't pushed in front of them. Largely, the LGFAQ is bloody huge, and
> perhaps the most popular item on icculus.org ever, so, I think it's
> important to make sure we can backtrack if anything we do is extremely
> stupid. CVS is nice for this, but I don't know how we could reverse
> things on a large scale with it.

At the risk of losing revision history, I'm wondering if we couldn't use
IcculusNews with the lgfaq.

pros:
- Formatting changes are universal, since a PHP file would take the text
  from IcculusNews and format it for viewing.
- Less gimping with HTML (unless you need it for a specific entry, and
  most of that is limited to minor shit, like PRE and B, etc.
- Changes are reflected immediately on the web (as opposed to a cronjob
  picking up the CVS updates every 20 minutes)
- People can grab FAQs one at a time, so on the newsgroups, Chunky can go,
  "This is answered in http://icculus.org/lgfaq/index.php?id=8342"
- FAQs can be submitted by the community, and edited/approved by official
  staff with a (ahem) nice web inteface.
- I don't need to give out accounts and fuck with the cvs and lgfaq groups
  every time someone volunteers for a week and gets bored with helping.

cons:
- I need to give out IcculusNews accounts every time someone volunteers
  for a week and gets bored with helping. Or finish automating this in
  IcculusNews (which is on the "when I have time" list).
- Localization isn't that fun this way (then again, the current system
  blows for this, too.)
- Revision history goes up in dust.
- No search interface (this should be added to the daemon).
- Other stuff, I'm sure.

--ryan.