[lgfaq] Editing this is now officially like pulling teeth

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Mon Oct 7 15:35:21 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:00:17PM -0500, zakk wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 12:46, Chunky Kibbles wrote:
> > OK. I'm right here, right now, proposing some new standards for the
> > lgfaq, because editing it is becoming a chore, and the whole thing is
> > becoming harder and harder to read, aswell.
> >
> > Formatting the text in the editor:
> > All lines should be 70 or 72 cols. Just push everything through "fmt -s"
> > when you're done, and it'll be fine. If you need a tutorial for vi on
> > this, I will gladly provide one. [it'll be a two-line item]
> >

> I have word wrapping on in gvim. Don't mind word wrapping in general for
> the lgfaq, however, I also think this will /break/ some <PRE>'d items.
> Don't do this blindly with a tool thinking everything will look right.

True. But at the same time, we should also be working on keeping the
width of content in <PRE> tags down.

> I don't believe style sheets will work everywhere. With treke's XML
> parser it should be easy to test this.

They won't. But the method I've put forth there will ensure that even
if stylesheets are turned off, it won't matter.

> > Sections:
> > Sections should be made available piecemeal. As in, it should be
> > possible to view "/lgfaq/index.php?section=install" and just see that.
> > The rest of the time, I'm not sure, but I think a <HR> would be really
> > good for sepatating the sections. Pure eye-candy, open to debate.

And now, thinking about it, that's a two-line hack in PHP that I'll do
if nobody else wants to.

> Someone really /should/ push everything to treke's xml parser.

Yes.

Gary (-;