[lgfaq] Mohaa client petition

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sun Aug 11 12:41:54 EDT 2002

> > Why did they award you to build the server only when you should have
> > ported the client too?
>
> Because Linux boxes tend to be on broadband more often than Windows
> boxes.  More bandwidth on an average server leads to a better game
> experience, as does more efficient networking code.  The difference,
> however, is that you don't have to pay for server bandwidth as a
> software company. ;)

Specifically:

1) Linux servers extend the shelf life of the win32 client. Example:
Counterstrike: 9000 servers. Serious Sam: five. Three of which aren't
patched to the latest version, even.
2) I was willing to do the server work VERY cheaply.
3) There are admins that run LARGE server farms that demand a Linux
server. Combined with fact #1 and #2, it made a LOT of sense to do the
port.
4) The work can be recycled with relative ease into the MOH mission pack.

The argument, except maybe #4, doesn't hold up for the client. It isn't
cost effective. The best EA hopes for is to break even, and even if there
is a profit to be made, there's no effective way to measure it...since
lots of people have bought the win32 game already, it's several months
old, etc. At best, you get a skewed idea of the market.

Basically, it comes down to this: a linux client, for MOH:AA, is purely a
charity case. It says a lot about a company by how they view these things.

And the issue is not paying me for a client...I won't do it for free, but
there are alternative sources of income that don't need to come from EA's
pockets (I can envision at least two different revenue models, maybe a
third).

--ryan.