[jugglemaster] Jugglemaster for Pocket PC (JMPocket)

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Mon Jun 21 15:07:20 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:13:22AM -0400, Barton Chittenden wrote:

> Au Contraire! :-)
>
> Jmlib now has a "random" style: the site swap is parsed, and we find the
> number of throws and catches in the pattern. Then we assign a random catch
> and throw position to each toss in the pattern.
>
> This raises a few interesting questions:
>
> Is there a cannonical way of initializing random numbers under PalmOS,
> given that time.h is not available?
>
> Jmlib does not currenly have any code for saving a random style which
> has beeen created. It occurs to me that this is something that will also
> have to be done somewhat abstractly, because the palm pilot does not
> directly support file IO {does it?}.
>
> Are there other parts of the C standard library which are missing on
> PalmOS, and will need similar abstraction?

The pattern parser takes a FILE * parameter, and uses feof, and fgets.

That's basically as abstracted as I felt It could sensibly get.

For saving stuff, I strongly sense that it'll be app-dependendant.

Feel free to random numbers in whatever other ways are suitable. I've
no idea how to do it, outside of srand and time  - does PocketPC
really have no way of getting the time in epoch seconds? That's pretty
daft :-/

Gary (-;

PS In the meantime, anyone's welcome to send me diff and I can easily
commit to the cvs.