[Gtkradiant] Compiling ZeroRadiant on Windows 7

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 14:23:13 CST 2010

Guys, I'm going to try compiling and running ZeroRadiant on my Windows 7
machine when I get home from work today.
The instructions here:
http://www.qeradiant.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/ZeroRadiant don't seem very
detailed.
Does anyone here have thorough experience compiling on Windows and you could
share some knowledge with me?
For example, what is "MSVC8"? (Google didn't really give me the answer.)
Do I need to buy any software to compile and run ZeroRadiant on Windows?
I have no idea how libraries such as Gtk are found (runtime) or you you
compile against it (headers).  I come from a UNIX background.
Would be nice to even figure out how to bundle the whole application and run
it easily, but that may be down the road.
For right now I just want to compile and run in any way possible, so I can
address any issues that Radiant has specific to Windows.

- Rambetter