[Gtkradiant] Branch or Patch?

CodeCreator spam at codecreator.net
Tue Mar 13 08:02:37 CDT 2007

Hi!

We added support for many hobby-games in the past months so thats not
so much of a problem.
If you want your gamesupport in gtkr, you have to send me your gamepack.
Make sure that your gamepack is close or completely final.
I don't want to get a mail everyday with tiny changes for gamepack xy.
So in your case, the best thing would be to get your stuff final and then
submit it.

I wouldn't say that making a fork for your game makes much sense right now.
A custom gamefile is enough for 90% of the games gtkr supports, esp. when its
build upon the q3 engine.
If you need custom functionality in gtkr: implement it as a plugin!
You may want to take a look at the ufo:ai plugin, its a plugin for a specific
hobby-game.
I will not commit customizations to gtkradiants core that are just
for one game and may brake support with others.

If you want to do a fork, then yes, you have to change the name.

> since I want to keep things safe and make sure they work always,
Having your stuff in trunk doesn't guarantee you that it will always work.
If the plugin interface to gtkr changes (like it did during the transition
from 1.4 to 1.5) then its the plugin-writers job to get it working again.
However since gtkr's development is going to stop slowly, its extremely
unlikely that the plugin interface is going to change ever again.
Gamepacks should work for eternity since there is absolutly no reason
to change the code that handles them.

> If supporting my particular, specific game isn't an option, would it be
> more convincing to add direct support for Open Arena?
If the open arena people want support for their stuff, they have to come to
me with their gamepack. If the gamepack satisfies the requirements
I mentioned above then it shall go in.

An alternative to the solutions above would be to build an installer that
detects an already installed gtkradiant and puts your gamefiles into the
install directory of gtkradiant. That way you can update your stuff as
often as you want.

namespace

--
www.codecreator.net | GPG: 0xD4DB516D