[gold-devel] Sick of this

Nathan Ladd nathanladd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:44:16 EDT 2007

On 7/14/07, Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu> wrote:
> I don't know who's left on this list, and I don't really care right
> now.  I'm sick of what's going on, and this is my threat to close up
> this project into my own thing, leaving everyone else in the dust.
>
> We're going into our sixth year of this project, and have absolutely
> nothing to show for it.  Right now I'm completely dependent on the
> kernel before I continue with anything beyond basic datatype crap,
> and this is pissing me off.  The kernel is 4 fucking YEARS old, and
> has YET TO RUN A FUCKING PROCESS!  GET YOUR FUCKING ACT TOGETHER!
> I'm SICK of this.  Just fucking SICK of it.  There is NO
> communication from the kernel side, so I know absolutely NOTHING of
> what's going on with that side, and I'm clueless as to how to
> continue on my end.  At this rate this project will never be
> completed.  Should I give up?  Tell me what to do, because I'm at a
> loss.  I want to hear no excuses of "school is getting in the way" or
> "my girlfriend is getting in the way".  I have had BOTH issues, and
> look what I've done!

You are a very industrious and determined individual.  People have put
up with a lot of ancient design problems with UNIX for years, simply
because adapting to the quirks of a functionally complete system is
easier than starting from scratch.

When I leave my job and return to school full time in August I would
love to find a project like this to devote some spare time to, and
I've been working with the Linux kernel for the past year and a half
so that area is pretty appealing to me.  But I honestly don't believe
I could ever churn out something even as broken as Linux in any
reasonable time frame.  We're talking about a lot of work.

Writing boot code is time consuming and difficult (I know because I've
done it).  Debugging a task scheduler is pretty tough, too.  Memory
management is non-trivial to get right.

Nathan