[freespace2] a couple of questions

Mihai Rusu dizzy at roedu.net
Mon May 10 02:53:59 EDT 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Taylor Richards wrote:

> Download ravage's installer and try the executable from that:
> http://icculus.org/~ravage

Oh I did this initially but failed to install from it (it wasnt detecting
my cdrom properly or something, I use devfs so that might be the cause).

> If that doesn't work then please let me know which mission (only need
> one) does it for you every time.  Please include your difficulty level
> and whether or not it matters how many objectives you get done as well.

Please tell me whom to contact about the installer issues.

> There is no easy way around this, it's case sensitive no matter what.
> It has to be one way or the other and since the game has been out for 2
> years now I think it's too late to change the current behavior (which is
> Data/Movies over data/movies).  The way it is now is the way it was
> written in the first place.  It's just that we have to deal with it in a
> case sensitive manner when Win32 doesn't.

Hmmm... ok, so I guess I have to rename every file and directory I copied
from win32 installation to start with upper case character.

> I'm using SDL_RWops.  It's easy to use and I don't have to worry about
> cross platform issues.  All that's really missing from the streaming
> code now is OpenAL.  All of the OpenAL commands need to be put in and
> plugged into the current sound management in the game.  Then the OpenAL
> buffer queuing can be finished and it should work.  But the code that
> actually deals with the files is already there.

Nice to hear that.

> > Ah, that should explain some things hehe.
>
> If you want to take a crack at it I'll be happy to send you my 3D sound
> changes.  It's just one of those things where I sit there, staring at
> the screen, scratching my head, wishing I had something better to do at
> that particular moment ;)

Oh, math and physics are really not my strong point ;)

> There is actually PXO (non-compatible with the old version) support in
> FS2_Open now.  There is also another implementation on the way
> apparently.  The guy from Volition who wrote the original code is
> apparently working on an open source version.  When that gets done I
> plan to add it to the icculus.org code.

So I guess there isnt any real need for another emulation project ?

> > FS2_Open ?!
>
> aka "The Source Code Project".  We're talking big time engine changes,
> new AI, weapon effects, 32-bit textures, HT&L, etc.  It's not a straight
> port of the original game like the icculus.org project is.  I've finally
> gotten Linux FSO (FS2_Open) current with the Windows version except for
> the things mention here already that are also missing from the
> icculus.org version.  Try the website and forums at
> http://www.3dap.com/hlp if you are interested.  If those screen shots
> done get your attention, nothing will.  The Linux version will finally
> hit CVS this week.

Oh so a complete open-source, from scratch fs engine, nice job!

Mihai RUSU                                    Email: dizzy at roedu.net
GPG : http://dizzy.roedu.net/dizzy-gpg.txt    WWW: http://dizzy.roedu.net
                       "Linux is obsolete" -- AST