[freespace2] a couple of questions

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon May 10 09:49:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 02:53, Mihai Rusu wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2004, Taylor Richards wrote:
>
> > Download ravage's installer and try the executable from that:
> > http://icculus.org/~ravage
>
> Oh I did this initially but failed to install from it (it wasnt detecting
> my cdrom properly or something, I use devfs so that might be the cause).
>
> > If that doesn't work then please let me know which mission (only need
> > one) does it for you every time.  Please include your difficulty level
> > and whether or not it matters how many objectives you get done as well.
>
> Please tell me whom to contact about the installer issues.

You could e-mail ravage but I think he is on this list.  The problem you
see may just be something in loki_setup though and nothing that ravage
can easily fix.  I'll have a look at it before the week is over.

You don't have to install it to use the executable though.  Just use the
options "--confirm --keep" and say no when it asks to proceed.  This
will leave the files extracted from the installer and you can copy the
executable where you want.

> > There is no easy way around this, it's case sensitive no matter what.
> > It has to be one way or the other and since the game has been out for 2
> > years now I think it's too late to change the current behavior (which is
> > Data/Movies over data/movies).  The way it is now is the way it was
> > written in the first place.  It's just that we have to deal with it in a
> > case sensitive manner when Win32 doesn't.
>
> Hmmm... ok, so I guess I have to rename every file and directory I copied
> from win32 installation to start with upper case character.

Yeah, it's a pain I know.

> > > FS2_Open ?!
> >
> > aka "The Source Code Project".  We're talking big time engine changes,
> > new AI, weapon effects, 32-bit textures, HT&L, etc.  It's not a straight
> > port of the original game like the icculus.org project is.  I've finally
> > gotten Linux FSO (FS2_Open) current with the Windows version except for
> > the things mention here already that are also missing from the
> > icculus.org version.  Try the website and forums at
> > http://www.3dap.com/hlp if you are interested.  If those screen shots
> > done get your attention, nothing will.  The Linux version will finally
> > hit CVS this week.
>
> Oh so a complete open-source, from scratch fs engine, nice job!

Well it's still based on same code and the icculus.org version so it's
not from scratch.  The icculus.org version is a pure port, trying to be
a Linux version of the original.  FSO is an enhanced port with
compatibility in mind but stretching the limit as far as possible.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>