[freespace2] compiling on linux/ppc

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 29 23:18:07 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 20:36, J. Volkmann wrote:
> Then start it again:
> $ ./freespace2
> Installing default /home/killerbyte/.freespace2/FreeSpace2.ini
> WinMain: exceptions shall fall through
> STUB: WinMainSub at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 7109, thread
> 10806
> STUB: find_freespace_cd at src/freespace2/freespace.cpp, line 8560,
> thread 10806
> General: Size of bitmap info = 355 KB
> General: Size of bitmap extra info = 8 bytes
> General: Building file index...
> General: Searching root '/usr/local/games/freespace2/'
>
> Then it just stops doing anything. It keeps producing 100% CPU usage,
> but doesn't seem to do anything.
> I will let this machine run over night, but I don't expect it to work
> suddenly. If anyone has an idea what to do about this: Mail here :-)

I'm not sure if this is an endianess issue though I don't think so.
Even if it is then it should at least get you to the pilot select
screen, or crash.  You said that it didn't do anything except eat up CPU
time so I assume that it didn't switch to fullscreen mode or open up any
windows.  Are you using the German version of FS2?  That doesn't really
matter at this point but I'm curious.

Try running it with these command line options: "-n -s -w -g".  That
will skip movies, disable sound, and run in windowed mode without
grabbing the mouse.  If that works take off the -w and -g options and
try again.  If the game never created a window or anything then I don't
hold much hope that this fix it but it's worth a try.  If this does fix
it then I would bet that something with the sound is the problem.  If
you've got other SDL and/or OpenAL based programs with audio that do
work for you let me know so we can rule out any kind of system related
issue.

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>