[freespace2] better movie player

Steven Fuller relnev at icculus.org
Thu Mar 27 18:56:00 EST 2003

On 25 Mar 2003, Taylor Richards wrote:

> A bit a tinkering later and I got about a 30% speed improvement on
> nvidia and G400 hardware.  Doing it another way I get a full 4x speed
> increase on nvidia but the G400 no longer shows the video.  As I don't
> actually know anything about OpenGL programming I ordered some reading
> material (red book) to help me out and get something better
> implemented.  The question becomes, in what other areas/ways should this
> be used so that I can plan accordingly?

I think the fastest way to do this (with pure OpenGL 1.2) would be to
create one (or 2 or 4, however many are required to hold the image on a
V3) at the very beginning, and then use glTexSubImage2D to upload each
frame into the textures.  The FS2 bitmap code does not have a way to do
this yet.

Steven Fuller