[freespace2] New FS1 patch soon

Taylor Richards mtrs at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 21 00:38:46 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 16:17, tigital wrote:
> ...unfortunately, I haven't had any time to search out the targeting
> problem, which I'm seeing in the OSX demo port with primary fire on
> drones:  visually, it seems that the shots are converging way beyond
> the target...I'm also waiting on getting a copy of freespace 2 (found
> one on ebay, s'posedly on it's way); I'm interested in seeing if the
> problem occurs in the full application build...

I'm not sure that it's the same problem and since I can't recreate it
it's that much harder to fix.  I haven't had any time to look into it
for a couple of weeks but I'll have another look when I get time.  I
also had a few problem with the FS1 demo initially but worked them out,
mostly because of the 1.20 demo version.  If you want I can send you the
drone model from the full FS2 if you want to test whether or not that's
contributing to the problem.

> ...also, have you tried "freespace port 2"?  It's supposed to be a
> complete port of all freespace 1/silent war stuff to the freespace 2
> engine, with higher detail textures and all...seems promising, but
> doesn't run with the demo version I've got going:  I should probably
> go ahead and build a full FS2 and try it out...

I did look at this when it was version 1.5 and I thought it was neat but
I wasn't impressed.  From what I've seen on various message boards 2.0
is much better but it still misses the point of what I wanted.  It's
only some FS1 looking graphics and ported missions and tables, not the
same game that I wasted countless hours playing over and over and over
again.  Enough of how the game progresses and numerous other things in
the source can't be fixed by changing tables.  All of the mission text
would also have to translated in tstrings for the German version to be
up to par.

I do admire what they are doing though and it's not something I would
want to attempt.  But when compared to me, the same guy who exported
every single graphic (over 1,000 of them) from FS1 and spent untold
hours in the GIMP figuring out where every button, every line of text
and every animation should be positioned, they probably have a few more
brain cells than I do ;-)

Taylor Richards <mtrs at bellsouth.net>