[freespace2] Disappearing text

Jonathan Gray khalek at linuxgamers.net
Mon Jun 24 04:12:19 EDT 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Andersson Torbjorn E wrote:

> I've been trying to run the Freespace 2 demo, and for the most part it seems
> to work pretty well. Apart from one thing: text often - not always - appears
> as filled areas instead of readable letters. This happens as early as when
> pressing F1 on the main menu screen.
>
> Since it doesn't happen if I use software rendering, I have two theories:
>
> * A DRI bug with the Matrox G400 driver.
>
> * Freespace 2 eats too much texture memory for my measly 16 MB card.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Apart from this problem, it looks very cool.

I also get this using the demo, with a G450. I'm running X 4.2 with
the matrox beta 2.0 drivers.

A screenshot can be found here:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/tgray2/shot3.png

While playing the visuals  will switch between the normal appearance and
that of the above screenshot.

My guess is its a texturing problem with the driver as various games
have had trouble running on matrox cards under linux in the past.

Jonathan