[freespace2] RE: FreeSpace 1

Taylor Richards trichard at surfsouth.com
Fri Jul 19 16:42:34 EDT 2002

The segfault is because of RedHat's gcc 2.96-100.  I used gcc3 to build
it and didn't have the same crashes.  Still have crashes (on my FS1
build) but I've tracked most of them down or just haven't gotten to it
yet.

I'm trying to use the same tables from FS1 to make life easier but I
found one problem with ships.tbl from FS1, it has a comment block using
/* */ and it does not have the standard comment character in front.  The
game of course does not like this.  What can I add or change to
'include/parselo.h' to fix this?  I see ignore_gray_space() but I don't
know if that is what will do what I want (remember that I don't actually
know what I'm doing).  Help with this would be appreciated but if this
isn't something easily done I can use the ships.tbl from Silent Threat
and get around this but then any FS1 mod that includes a ships.tbl isn't
going to work.

I've got the Barracks, MainMenu, and Campaign Menu working.  I'm about
90% done with the TechRoom and will then move on to Options.  Fixed the
Tips and Loading screen but haven't gotten around to fixing the second
crash after the initial menu animation in the Ready Room.  I've got
references to FS2 fixed where necessary, versions and Copyrights are
also displayed like the original game.  The Player Select menu is mostly
working but the hotspots are messed up and I haven't figured that out
yet.  Depending on how well (or if at all) the missions work I should be
done next week.  Hopefully I've got everything ifdef'd correctly to
build either FS2 or FS1 with the same code.