[freespace2] RE: FreeSpace 1

Taylor Richards trichard at surfsouth.com
Thu Jul 18 22:25:52 EDT 2002

Just tried it and it didn't work for me.  It failed to parse some of the
tables.  I've become quite familiar with this.  The parser tends to get
random garbage from the tables and missions and has caused me some
problems.  I think it's just the encoding (encryption) of the VP files.
I had the same problem with what I've done so far and had to ifdef out
"#define ENCRYPT_NEW" in 'src/parse/encrypt.cpp' so that it will use the
old encryption for the FS1 build.  The tools this VP was created with
must use the old encryption or the linux build (or the source itself) is
different from what the windows build has.  Rebuilding now to test...

It did work, sort of.  When going to the ready room it segfaults.  But
the graphics are wrong in some places and can only be fixed in the
source so it isn't as clean as what I've done ;-)  I've got the same
problem (the segfault) that I've run into and is holding my solution up
at the moment though I get a little further into the game.  I thought it
was something I've done since things that don't work now worked when I
started.  I wonder if it was the last cvs update from Tuesday (I think)
that may be the cause.  I'll checkout the older version and try both
solutions again.

What I'm trying to do is make something that looks and works identically
to the original FS1.  Without the crashing I'm (might be) almost there.
The other benefit is that FS1 and the Silent Threat add-on are not
stored in a InstallShield cab file so an installer should be easy to
make.  Plus I've some time to waste trying to figure it all out.

Taylor