[freespace2] OS X version working!

Taylor Richards trichard at surfsouth.com
Sat Aug 17 20:00:56 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 19:44, tigital wrote:

> ...hmm...
>
> ...that should say that "I know the movies AREN'T working..."
>
> ...also, anyone know where I can get the full version of freespace 2
> for cheep?...or, how's the freespace1 stuff going? (that game I found
> at target with silent war, but no manuals)
>
> l8r,
> jamie

The movies are working but without sound.  It tries to load the movies
from a location other than where the game would install them and the
player is case sensitive.  If you lowercase the movie files and put them
in the directory movies, and add -DMVE to CFLAGS they should work.  As
far as I know all sounds that stream off the disk (movies, briefings,
etc.) aren't working.  I'm trying to wrap my brain around the OpenAL and
SDL audio stuff but it's still over my head.  I could barely handle a
bash script 3 weeks ago, ya know ;-)

As for FS1 I'm trying to figure out why the nebulas don't show up but
I'm not having very much luck so far.  They seem to load and initialize
ok but don't show up in the game.  FS2 uses something different to
populate the starfield so I'm trying to wade through what's what.  I
also may have found a crash bug that I missed before.  The crash doesn't
happen in the debug build and it doesn't always happen in the normal
build which is why I missed it.  I know where it's happening but not
exactly why yet but it will be fixed before the weekend is over.  The
patch I already posted is what I wanted in CVS though with what I do
from now on being small patches from that off of that one.  You can
download it from http://www.surfsouth.com/~trichard/fs if you want to go
ahead and try on OSX though.  We'll have to wait for one of the main
developers to have time to look it over and commit it though since I
don't trust myself to do it.

Taylor Richards <trichard at surfsouth.com>