[freespace2] byte ordering bugs on OS X?

tigital tigital at mac.com
Sat Aug 10 15:02:41 EDT 2002

>  > ...I just found out about this project, and want to jump in and help!
>>  I pulled down the CVS, and found that the code apparently builds on
>>  MacOS X, but that there are 'byte ordering bugs'...I haven't looked
>>  directly at the source yet, but was wondering if someone might be
>>  able to indicate where these bugs are:  are they in the texture
>>  these byte-swaps, this should compile on linuxppc?
>
>I got it as far as compiling on OS X, and didn't have time to clean up the
>byte ordering things.
>
>They are just about everywhere. It will take a long time to fix them all.
>
>It should compile on LinuxPPC right now, but the byte ordering problem
>will be there, too, obviously.
>
>--ryan.

well, I've got it setup in project builder, but am having some
problems with the OpenAL portion:  the framework I have was d/l'ed
from
http://developer.creative.com/scripts/DC_D&H_Games-Downloads.asp?opt=2

...but it gives the following messages, both in the freespace2
makefile and my projectBuilder target:

src/sound/ds.cpp: In function `int ds_init(int, int)':
src/sound/ds.cpp:1397: passing `const ALubyte *' as argument 1 of
`alcOpenDevice(ALCubyte *)' discards qualifiers
src/sound/ds.cpp: In function `int ds_get_free_channel(int, int, int)':
src/sound/ds.cpp:1971: implicit declaration of function `int
alGetSourceiv(...)'
src/sound/ds.cpp: In function `int ds_get_play_position(int)':
src/sound/ds.cpp:3114: `AL_BYTE_LOKI' undeclared (first use this function)
src/sound/ds.cpp:3114: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
src/sound/ds.cpp:3114: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [src/sound/ds.o] Error 1

...this made me think that there must be a newer version of OpenAL,
so I grabbed the latest CVS...unfortunately, it requires codewarrior
to build the framework, and I don't have it!  Could someone hook me
up with the framework that has successfully been used in compiling
this program?  Then I can get to the byte swapping stuff!

...Also, what's the status on freespace 1 compatibility?  And how 'bout FRED?

tanx,
jamie