[cod] Query limiting...

Marco Padovan evcz at evcz.tk
Sun Oct 2 07:22:30 EDT 2011

That's what you get for running windows :(

You choice in running a gameserver within windows had 2 consequences:
1) made the game developers think windows is a good platform for hosting
gameservers
2) choosed an operating system costing you more (but missing the
firewall tools needed to block this kind of abuses? I'm not very
educated about windows servers builtin firewall, but if it was possible
to filter the attacks on windows you would have already done that I
suppose.)

At this point I would suggest you 3 solutions:
1) run the server natively on linux
2) run the server within a linux virtual machine (that's what they ask
us to do to run windows servers)
3) set up a linux gateway and filter the malicious traffic using iptables

I'm on linux, I'm not running the query limited binary... I'm just
dropping the malicious traffic using a couple iptables rules since many
months.
No problem so far.

good luck with windows :(