No subject

Wed Mar 11 16:46:39 EDT 2009

The game has a program loop that is constantly handling game "events". The
loop gets an event, handles that event, gets an event, handles that event,
etc. That loop has to execute at a fairly constant rate for the game play to
be smooth. However, since that loop can be interrupted by other programs
running on the computer, or can be delayed when the game does some
time-consuming operation (like loading levels or bots from disk), there's
code in that loop that adjusts for small amounts of time lost to those
interruptions (call the interruptions "hitches"). Longer hitches cause
glitches in game play (you've probably seen those where your connection to a
server goes bad and everything starts jumping around).

When the game is running as a dedicated server, it warns you (via the
console log) of hitches longer than 500 msec. You'll probably see hitch
warnings as the game loads levels, loads bots, or other time consuming
operations. The hitch warnings can be ignored as long as they are small
amounts of time. However, large hitches will be noticed by the clients (with
the extreme case being a temporary disconnection).

They then give you instructions to shut down background processes

Original link here:

-Jim Landi

-----Original Message-----
From: Maverick [mailto:me83143 at]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 1:56 PM
To: cod at
Subject: Re: [cod] New Server problem/hitch warnings

I believe it has a separate video card.  The first box that works great
has the same value.  As far as CPU overloading, this is a dual Xeon with
1 CoD server and that's it.  Any other suggestions on what configuration
issues might cause this?  We've been looking network, but based on what
you've said about hitch warnings, that may be incorrect.  I've seen the
hitch warnings correspond to the lag we're getting, so I know they're
related.  Any other suggestions you might have would be greatly
appreciated, and thanks again for your help so far!