No subject

Wed Mar 11 16:46:39 EDT 2009

The game has a program loop that is constantly handling game "events". The
loop gets an event, handles that event, gets an event, handles that event,
etc. That loop has to execute at a fairly constant rate for the game play to
be smooth. However, since that loop can be interrupted by other programs
running on the computer, or can be delayed when the game does some
time-consuming operation (like loading levels or bots from disk), there's
code in that loop that adjusts for small amounts of time lost to those
interruptions (call the interruptions "hitches"). Longer hitches cause
glitches in game play (you've probably seen those where your connection to a
server goes bad and everything starts jumping around).

When the game is running as a dedicated server, it warns you (via the
console log) of hitches longer than 500 msec. You'll probably see hitch
warnings as the game loads levels, loads bots, or other time consuming
operations. The hitch warnings can be ignored as long as they are small
amounts of time. However, large hitches will be noticed by the clients (with
the extreme case being a temporary disconnection).

They then give you instructions to shut down background processes

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/atvi_guid
e_system.php#2

Original link here:

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.p
hp?p_sid=6WEqvv5h&p_lva=&p_faqid=11830&p_created=1068148417&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTE
mcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1oaXRjaCB3YXJuaW5nJnBfc2V
hcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTM2MSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZ
wX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

-Jim Landi
Rudedog
CoDadmin.com