[cod] PB GUID

Anton Jansen gradius at fmf.nl
Wed Mar 12 09:16:03 EDT 2008

Hi Lars,

In principle the PB GUIDs are unique hashes based on the CD-keys of a
game. However, I recall a discussion last week on this list that the
server seems to cache the lookup of these numbers, using the IP address
of a client connecting as a hash. Only when some time has passed, the
client will start sending the PB GUID. Now, if a client has connected
with a banned GUID, the IP will be associated with this banned GUID. The
server checks it, find outs it has been banned and kicks the client.
Now, if another client connects some moments later with a different
GUID, but with the same IP, the server will use the cached GUID and thus
disconnect this client as well.

However, in your case, it is much more likely someone stole the CD-key,
or made a key-gen that generates it and has subsequently been banned. Go
back to the store, and get a new copy!

Cheers,

Anton Jansen