[cod] COD4: 2 players with same guid (hack?)

Robert Ros robertros at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 05:58:24 EST 2008

True, guids always remain the same (by definition). But I also agree on
Andre, guids are locked to an ip address for about 10 minutes. I
discovered this when I tried to play over an vpn connection. My ISP has
some bad routings sometimes (i.e. Amsterdam-London but via New York or
Stockholm) This results in a ping about 120 or so. So I use my
university vpn connection. But when I've had joined a server with my own
connection, I had to wait about 10 minutes before the master server
released the lock on that ip address.

For 2 people on the same lan with the same ip address this is not a
problem I guess as they have both the same ip address and the same guid,
this ip was in the master server table anyway.

Regarding the guidrelax settings: It will only look at unknown guids,
guids from wrong ip addresses or duplicates. Someone said before: most
statistics programs use the guid as an unique id (makes sense) but it
becomes hard when 2 or 3 people with the same guid, same ip and chaning
nickname are playing on your server.

I think the only workaround available is to change the guidrelax setting
back to 0 every 5 minutes or so with a PB task:

pb_sv_task 0 300 pb_sv_guidrelax 0

This is the definition of guidrelax according evenbalance:

PB_SV_GUIDRelax [0-7]
Defaults to 0; Controls PunkBuster's kicking behavior related to GUIDS;
A Value of 1 means PB will not kick for UNKN (Unknown) GUIDs; A Value of
2 means PB will not kick for WRONGIP GUIDs (these are GUIDS which are
valid but not from the IP Address the player is connecting from); A
Value of 4 means PB will not kick for DUPLICATE GUIDs; These values (1,
2 and 4) can be combined to achieve the desired behavior

Best regards,

Robert Ros

http://team-silverbullet.nl/