[cod] CoD:WAW... still nothing on linux front...

Oliver Warburton olly at inx-gaming.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 11:20:11 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Certainly this is a very interesting discussion.

We had a similar discussion at our weekly meeting last Monday.

We too looked at the fact there are only a fraction of COD5 servers online compared to COD4 (and COD4 has died off the last few months).

Compare it to a game like Left4Dead (Windows and Linux from the start) which we saw from a GSP point of view, the best selling server since CSS.

The lack of availability of Linux servers, in my view, has dampened COD5's success. It's not the first time this has happened to a game. If they were there, more copies of the games would have been sold.

It is more interesting when you consider in quite a raw interpretation:

Linux binaries = x servers
Players = y servers
Games sold = z servers

Like a guy said earlier, all those clans that run a number of servers, that didn't go for COD5 because they couldn't run it on their Linux dedi, or their GSP weren't able to provide from day 1. Imagine in those clans, the other X members, who if the clan were running COD5 servers, would no doubt have gone out to buy the game so they could play with their clan mates.

Is the cost of providing Linux server files from release date < the potential number of games that could be sold?

That is the real question..

Oliver Warburton
Managing Director
INX-Network LTD