[cod] chmod settings and how to stop server.

Brandon Ewing nicotine at warningg.com
Tue Nov 27 19:52:54 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:22:56PM +0000, Georgecooldude wrote:
>    Hi all
>
>    Apologies if this has been asked but I couldn't see anything in my torrent
>    of emails from the list.
>
>    What chmod settings do I need as a minimum on the files and directories?
>    Can someone provide a breakdown?

The server doesn't need any real special permissions -- just world
executeable bits on cod4_lnxded and cod4_lnxded-bin.

COD is user-execution friendly -- if you set fs_homepath to ~, it will write
files to ~/main and ~/pb (and ~/.pb (and .callofduty4/pb)), so you don't need
any world-writable permissions -- just make sure the user you run it as can
write to their home directory (or whatever you set fs_homepath to).

My startup options look like this:
/usr/local/games/cod4-linux-server/cod4_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set
sv_punkbuster 1 +set fs_homepath ~ +set fs_basepath
/usr/local/games/cod4-linux-server +exec server.cfg +exec
hardcore_settings.cfg +exec custom_hq.cfg +map_rotate

If you're not executing cod4_lnxded from the directory it's in, you'll need
to set fs_basepath correctly, or the server won't start.

The fs_homepath is a nice touch, as it allows you to install the binaries
and mods/etc once, and use different working directories for each server
instance.  I'm sure that'll come in handy for for-profit gameserver
administrators.

>    Also how can I stop the server once I started it? Or does it stop when I
>    do a CTRL+Z?

CTRL+Z is suspend, not exit. :)  Either CTRL-C (break), or just typing
"quit" in the server console will shut the server down.

--
Brandon Ewing                                        (nicotine at warningg.com)