[cod] CoD4 Linux Server Files

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Sun Nov 18 17:23:38 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 17:01 -0500, John Kennington wrote:
> It is too late.  At last look there were 6226 Windows servers.  Linux
> is completely cut out of the picture.  Even if we got the binaries
> tomorrow morning, we could never make up the lost revenue.  IW and
> Icculus have hurt us tremendously.  There is no point is supporting
> this game, now.

First, and with all due respect John, having had experience with Ryan's
work since Unreal Tournament back in the previous century, I can tell
you for certain that you won't find a more dedicated, intelligent, and
driven individual who will give his all to ensure that the community's
needs are met.  Ryan is part of the solution, not the problem.  I think
the true answer lies elsewhere.

I think it would be very interesting to hear why there is consistently
such a lag between the release of Windows server binaries and Linux
server binaries.  Given the numbers I've seen, Linux FAR outweighs
Windows servers for every title I've ever bothered to check.  It seems
to me that there must be something else in play for this sort of
situation to occur every time a new title is released.

Of course, the problem is getting someone in authority to speak candidly
on the issue.  Is there anyone on this list who could address this
specific question?  Is it a lack of Linux expertise?  Is it a lack of
perception of Linux being a major player in the game server space?  Is
it because Microsoft is pulling some kind of back room shenanigans like
they have in the past?  Whatever it is, it certainly isn't new and
that's part of what makes it so damned annoying to say the least.

Inquiring minds want to know.  So, any takers?

Tom