[cod] Problem with master server?

Robert Mount rmount at pobox.com
Thu Jul 12 10:33:27 EDT 2007

For the record, Geoff is correct.

COD/UO/COD2 don't report to GameSpy.  Nor do you need 10 different
master servers (like some MODs have in their samples).  All you need
is the one:

set sv_master1 "cod2master.activision.com"

Technically you don't really need that, as reporting to the master
server is part of the code and doesn't need to be configured.  I've
tested it myself.  I still leave this in my configs though to prevent
admins from adding a bunch of useless crap.

Make sure you can resolve the master server from your box:
$ dig cod2master.actvision.com

<output snip>
;; ANSWER SECTION:
cod2master.activision.com. 6600 IN      A       63.146.124.40
</output snip>

If you can't, check your /etc/resolv.conf and your firewall settings.

--Rob