Error: Sys_SendPacket: Operation not permitted

Walker walkertje at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:04:28 EST 2007

I've found the problem.

The firewall I use (APF) has some nice features. One of those features is:
# Block traffic that has a destination or source of a known bad broadcast
# addresses - that under normal circumstances a server has no business
# communicating with.
PKT_SANITY_STUFFED="0"

That was enabled by default. It appears one of my mates (which frequently
requeries my server status) triggered this rule and thus got blocked which
lead to the sys_sendpacket error.

A few weeks ago (after reinstalling linux) this mate didn't see the server
at all (everyone else did). I had to open up the firewall completely for his
IP. After disabling this sanity_stuffed option, everything works fine and I
don't need to openup the firewall for his IP anymore.

Thanks for reading all! :) maybe till next time.