[cod] Server Crashing on Startup

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Wed Dec 12 06:51:23 EST 2007

> I've been having this problem since 1.0. Tried on 1.3 as well.
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)

You probably have either an old x86 processor (a K6 or Pentium II?), or
some strange variant of an x86 processor (a Transmeta Crusoe?), or
you're running the game on an emulator/vm that doesn't allow some modern
x86 instruction.

The server is compiled with -march=pentium3 -mtune=pentium4 (i.e. --
optimize as if there's a pentium4 in the machine, but don't use opcodes
that'll crash an Athlon MP), so there is probably some minor collateral
damage for unusual configurations.

And no, I will not be changing this in a future build, sorry.

--ryan.