[cod] PB sizes/MD5

Eduardo E. Silva esilva at silvex.com
Thu Jun 8 16:07:43 EDT 2006

Most hacks are DIrectX hacks. These include fog, color models etc. This PB
is just smoke  and mirrors then?. Can they compile a list of DX9
versions, and if you are not in that list you can't play ? I thought that
COD2 requires 9.0c period!
In my server  I see a total of
286 d3d9.dll checks, with 'B' taking 256, 'A' taking 28 and the remaining
two neing of size 1689600.
Brian Dessent wrote:

"Eduardo E. Silva" wrote:

>> 1.0 Why are
they different ?
>> 2.0 Is B the correct one?
>> 3.0
How can I tell PB to kick incorrect sizes/MD5 ?

>> A) PunkBuster Server: [From #1 d70(VALID) ^9rsun ^3!
^7dTx^9>^3S^9<]
>> My dx C:\WINDOWS\System32\d3d9.dll
size=1703936
>> md5=0E51BD586D186F61A9E4453DB8AEC774
>>
>> B) PunkBuster Server: [From #2 dc1(VALID)
^7[^4DYB^7]>>^4SLICK^7<<] My
>> dx
C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d9.dll size=1689088

md5=D67BDBBDA86CC9AEEBBAF3217C1717D8

> That sounds like
the kind of thing that's going to vary depending on the

particular patch level of DirectX that the user has installed, e.g.
9.0,
> 9.0a, 9.0c, etc.  Microsoft tends to make these minor
little tweaks all
> the time so just saying "DirectX 9"
seems to actually mean a whole
> spectrum of minor revisions.
>
> Unless you're going to force everyone to use the exact
same identical
> version of DirectX I doubt you'd ever see the
same MD5 for that file.
> There's enough problems just getting
clients to turn on auto-download, I
> can't imagine anyone
expecting them to install a specific patchlevel of
> DX.  I'm not
too familiar with PB but I'd expect that you could specify

multiple correct hashes, otherwise that check seems pretty ridiculous.

--
Thanks,
Ed Silva
esilva at silvex.com
(714) 504-6870 Cell
(714) 908-1730 Fax
The information contained in this email is confidential, intended
solely for the addressee, and may be legally privileged.  Access to this
email by other persons is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.