[cod] PB sizes/MD5

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Thu Jun 8 15:33:13 EDT 2006

"Eduardo E. Silva" wrote:

> 1.0 Why are they different ?
> 2.0 Is B the correct one?
> 3.0 How can I tell PB to kick incorrect sizes/MD5 ?
>
> A) PunkBuster Server: [From #1 d70(VALID) ^9rsun ^3! ^7dTx^9>^3S^9<]
> My dx C:\WINDOWS\System32\d3d9.dll size=1703936
> md5=0E51BD586D186F61A9E4453DB8AEC774
>
> B) PunkBuster Server: [From #2 dc1(VALID) ^7[^4DYB^7]>>^4SLICK^7<<] My
> dx C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d9.dll size=1689088
> md5=D67BDBBDA86CC9AEEBBAF3217C1717D8

That sounds like the kind of thing that's going to vary depending on the
particular patch level of DirectX that the user has installed, e.g. 9.0,
9.0a, 9.0c, etc.  Microsoft tends to make these minor little tweaks all
the time so just saying "DirectX 9" seems to actually mean a whole
spectrum of minor revisions.

Unless you're going to force everyone to use the exact same identical
version of DirectX I doubt you'd ever see the same MD5 for that file.
There's enough problems just getting clients to turn on auto-download, I
can't imagine anyone expecting them to install a specific patchlevel of
DX.  I'm not too familiar with PB but I'd expect that you could specify
multiple correct hashes, otherwise that check seems pretty ridiculous.

Brian