[cod] The "PB" folder isn't there.

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Oct 27 20:31:26 EDT 2005

Steven Hartland wrote:
> /me wuzzes Ryan :)
> 2.3 is the evilness :p

<rant>
Well, you're going to have to get used to it sooner than later...modern
Linux distros are basically forcing me to it.

The COD2 server doesn't need glibc2.3 because it doesn't spin any
threads (even for DNS lookups! Hooray, Quake 3!  :)   ), however
programs that do (just about everything else) will behave badly if
linked against glibc 2.1 and run on the latest glibc, which now ships on
all the major distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, etc...)...frequently this
manifests itself as the program just sort of hanging up for no apparent
reason.

In the short term, there's the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 hack, but
eventually, with no better alternative in sight, I'm going to have to
force everyone to a relatively recent glibc.

Obviously, we won't change this for shipping titles like ut2004 or COD2,
but I'm telling you now: start making contingency plans, because future
titles will need the upgrade (and if not my own projects, almost
certainly other people that are shipping Linux binaries but don't know
the issue won't take the time to build against a glibc from six years ago!).
</rant>

--ryan.