[cod] SecurityFocus

Ian mu mu.llamas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:14:05 EST 2005

So how come so many people have patched servers that people are
crashing? Just because it "says" its patched and successful does not
mean its so. Most people say it doesnt work, some people say it works
for some servers theyve done, not others. In other words, no one has a
clue. Read the forums out there and you'll see.

The idiot part is posting an exploit and subsequently enabling
numpties to 100% DOS a game as happened last night when every single
server for a game (not talking just one ISP or one server, and I don't
even admin a server for that, so no skin off my nose, talking every
single server out there as is easily done when you can get ip:ports
from master server lists) was taken down for a game. There's scripts
out there now that have just modified a bit and hammering servers.

He's an idiot plain and simple. Its like writing a virus prevention
program then distributing the virus to people, the problem wasn't bad
until he posted it (the problem has been known about for > 2 years
which goes to show, so yes you can criticize sloppy game coding, but
he's just made it a whole lot worse).

Tell me a GSP IP/Range who have all their servers patched ;).