Well, looks like COD2 got pushed out 2 months...

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sun Aug 21 22:44:32 EDT 2005

Well, looks like it was pushed out.

Well, honestly, I would rather wait until October, or November
and see the release of a COD2 with a working Windows server
and Linux server day 1.

Of course I expect some issues, but not the BIG ones with COD:UO.
Missing big ones is not unique to AV or IWN, look at BF2 Linux
server by EA.  (Nice Memory leak, and nice they are so responsive
to their own forums the put up for bug reports....)

I don't know about the rest, but BF2 was no COD killer!
They break away to play BF2 for change, but back to COD
and UO.  To some extent, I have seen that a large portion of
the COD playership (A Bush word - defined as "made up" ;-) )
has migrated back to playing COD, or COD:UO with much of
the big fire power items missing. Something to be said about
skill with a rifle vs a tank.

My busy servers are ironically my rifles only (Bolt), Snipers only,
and maps that don't have PPSH, aka n00b weapons  in them.
I don't find that very strange, but I do find the return back to COD
somewhat odd, or using UO, but without the hardware and it does
not all see to be driven by lag issues if you have tons of tanks a
blazing in Cassino.  It appears driven towards skills developed to be
a good infantry player.  I suspect this training will not go wasted in
the upcoming COD2.

When tanks are available, and a player keeps grabbing a tank, the
guys that know their stuff, and have the skill, know where all the
anti-tank weapons are, and the tank don't last long with a shot up
the old "back bone".  Eventually they get the hint and move on.

I thought perhaps a COD2 would look a lot like a BF2 with COD skins
and engine.  Perhaps hot for a while if it was, but I would suspect it would
somehow default back to basics and skill and tactics, especially if the
campaigns are more detailed and infantry based.

Whatever it turns out to be, I am sure it will be great, and I will
gladly wait until the Windows and Linux versions can be released at the
same time and actually work.  And unlike what we just went through
with BF2 and EA, AV and IWN make them look sooooo bad.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? Noticed it?  Thoughts about
COD2 push-back?  I would like to think it was because ALL was not
ready, and not the Windows was not ready and no one gives a lick
about the Linux server at AV....

Dr. D

Mark J. DeFilippis                    defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org