[cod] Server problems?

Daniel M. Temme cod at schlechteverlierer.de
Wed Sep 8 05:41:11 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 10:13, Christopher Kunz wrote:
> Robert Mount wrote:
> > It would have been nice had Luigi not posted the executable code for the
> > script.  Just the source would have been fine.  It would have kept the
> > script kiddies away.
>
> Full Disclosure is part of the solution, not part of the problem.
> Security by obscurity does not help anybody.

It might be argued whether full disclosure really needs proof of concept code.
Especially in a case where noone is doubting the claim. In this particular
case it probably doesn't really matter though.

> As hard as it sounds, the whole blame in this issue goes to those who
> have delayed the windows patch - Luigi has obviously given Activision
> enough time to find a solution.

Agreed. Or maybe Ryan is just setting the standards too high. ;)

> But hey, what do you expect? All dedicated servers have always been and
> will always be "as is".

If I understand that correctly it does effect clients as well.

Have a nice day
--
Daniel M. Temme
http://schlechteverlierer.de