[cod] COD - STDIN - Slow Start up

Glanzer glanzer at glanzer-net.com
Mon Oct 25 09:59:52 EDT 2004

How are you actually invoking that command line?  The command looks ok, but
it sounds like you are trying to run it in an environment that has doesn't
have the proper shell to create a command window, or you are trying to pipe
something to an app that doesn't accept stdin pipe redirections (?).   To
solve it, I would start with the basics and work up from there.

1.  First, open a command prompt and enter the command by hand and run it
without the "&" at the end.  If that works without the error, kill it with
control-c and move on to step two.

2.  Second, do the same thing with the "&" added and see if it works without
that error.  You should see all the loading messsages, but you will be
outside the process in your command window (i.e. you'll get the command
prompt back).  If that works, kill the process ("ps x" to find the process,
then "kill pid" to kill it), and move on to step three.

3.  Third, create a shell script to start it.  Contents of the script should
have 2 lines similar to this:

#!/bin/sh
/home/codadmin/codlinux/cod_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set fs_game pam +set
fs_homepath /home/codadmin/codlinux/AUS +exec myserver.cfg +set
sv_punkbuster 1 +map_rotate &

Set the script to be "executable" in the file system (e.g. "chmod 754
myscript").  Then run it and check the log for errors.

Hope I'm not missing something obvious here.

--Glanzer
(Moderator of http://www.codboards.com)