[cod] Linux vs. Windows

Chris Adams chris at fragzzhost.com
Sat Nov 20 12:58:38 EST 2004

Generally Linux and other similar UNIX-derived OSs are far better...
There are only a few games where this isn't always the case (CS before
Source, UO, ....)

And Linux can generally be chopped down to use even less RAM than a
chopped-down Windows if one knows where one should look :-). Oh and
security... Patches seem to have been coming out for MS products faster
than most people can install them recently.

Also Linux offers better performance as the server code is often a lot
more efficient than the Windows versions and Linux has a variety of
process schedulers available, many of which outstrip Windows by a mile
when under heavy load; it's much more stable than Windows (last kernel
panic experienced for me was about four years ago on a box which had a
PCI card half out or something similarly ridiculous. Last BSOD on
Windows was earlier today); it's free; it is more efficient in its
arrangement (far less things getting in the way of the game server
process and the pipe going out); it can be easily configured to run
other services (for free) and also it can be easily optimised for your
setup and CPU architecture rather than being tied down to the standard
Windows i386 (I might be wrong about Windows here with recent versions -
please correct me if so).

Chris Adams
Fragzzhost

T (07005) 964 855