1.4 lag spikes?

luke at techfreak.org luke at techfreak.org
Mon May 10 13:06:38 EDT 2004

ok ok...... I'm not trying to blame ALL my server issues on the
patch. I'm just looking for some possible explanations regarding my
periodic lag spikes on COD 1.4 with PB enabled.

an earlier post several weeks ago from another user:

"I get this as well.  I don’t have this trouble with a 1.1 server on
the same
box, but I haven't tried disabling PB either.  It seems to play fine
for a
while, then for about 30 seconds, I get lag bursts.  Both
green(bottom) and
yellow(top) bars spike to the top on the lagometer if that helps any."

I started getting these odd lag spikes lasting about 1-3 seconds
every hour or so on all my COD 1.4 servers. I naturally thought the
Data Center was having some congestion issues, routing problems,
etc. So, I ran countless traceroutes, monitored ping for hours on
end, did file transfer tests, etc. I could find nothing that
indicated the usual issues that cause lag...

 Interestingly, I also run UT2004 servers on the same machines and
never notice the same behavior on these..... so, I'm wondering if
there could be something up with PunkBuster, my COD config, etc
that is causing these spikes?

Anybody still have similar issues? If so, have you identified the
issue? Please help - this is driving me freakin nuts (mostly cause
people complain).

Luke